- Premarital agreements: ten years on from Radmacher - Ten years ago, a German paper heiress had her premarital agreement (PMA) approved by the highest courts in England. This decision of the Supreme court in 2010 effectively changed the way that our family courts treat PMAs and, in turn, the way we advise our clients who are about to marry and seek our advice [...]
- Coronavirus and childcare: facilitating contact in the ‘rule of six’ era - On Monday 14th September 2020, the UK government introduced the ‘rule of six’ in England to limit social contact in an attempt to control the spread of the COVID-19 virus. This new rule makes it illegal for groups of more than six people to meet in any setting, either indoors or outdoors, including in family [...]
Transfer of Equity
If you are newly married with your own home and want to own your home in joint names, or are separating and wish to transfer ownership to one name, a transfer of equity could be right for you. It can also be helpful for transferring a share of the home to another family member.
Other situations where a transfer of equity could be appropriate include:
- If a court order has been made
- Simplifying the formation of a trust
- Facilitating a gift of property
Why legal advice is useful when transferring equity
If the property is mortgaged, the mortgage deed will also need to be altered, which increases the complexity. The same applies if money is being transferred (for example, if one owner wishes to buy out the share of another during a separation). In either of these cases, you will find our services even more valuable to help you achieve the right outcome. Parrott & Coales’ team of expert property solicitors will help you navigate this complex area of law with their many years of experience.
You also need to consider that payments will need to be made to third parties on your behalf by your solicitor. These could include stamp duty, search indemnity insurance and land registry fees.
Bearing all of these details in mind, it is very useful to have expert legal advice to guide you through this multifaceted area.