- Childcare arrangements and social distancing - The knock-on effects of the global pandemic are huge. This challenging time is particularly hard for separated parents, who may face challenges with maintaining on going childcare arrangements. Some of the problems being highlighted to our offices include: A parent becoming symptomatic and falling into the self-isolate category, being unable to assist with handovers and [...]
- The number of cohabitating couples is on the rise - The ONS (Office of National Statistics) completes UK-wide survey every year. The survey covers a range of demographics including living arrangements. The 2017 survey highlighted that cohabitating couples (couples who live together but are not married) were the fastest growing family type, and the 2018 report confirmed that the cohabitating couple were the second largest family type in the UK. The number of cohabitating couples grew by 3.4 million people from 2017 to 2018.
Sickness Absence and Returning to Work
If you are an employer, you will know that sickness absence can place a huge financial and practical burden upon your business. As well as dealing with the additional workload created by an employee’s absence, you still need to do all can to facilitate their return to work. Additionally, you need to keep abreast of all the current legislation, especially disability rights at work.
Our top tips are:
- Ensure you have an up-to-date, comprehensive Sickness Policy, and that it is followed
- Honestly discuss how to facilitate a return to work
- Seek our advice early to minimise complication or disputes
At Parrott & Coales, our highly experienced team of employment lawyers will keep you up to date with best practice and advise you on how to draw up sickness policies in accordance with the law, as well as offering expert legal advice on how to deal with a dispute.
However sympathetic your approach, you may find yourself in dispute with an employee during their sickness absence, or even dealing with issues and discrimination.
In an extreme case, your relationship with your employee could break down completely.
Please contact us now if you need advice on drafting a new sickness absence policy, or if you are involved in a dispute. Our advice could save you a great deal of money, time and stress.