- A guide to flexible furlough - Furlough leave was introduced in the UK back in March 2020 as part of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. As businesses start to reopen and lockdown restrictions are lifted, the Government has now introduced more flexibility to the scheme, allowing employees on furlough leave to be brought back into work part-time from July 1st. Furlough [...]
- Covid 19 – Legal Changes for Business - Covid 19 – Legal Changes for businesses The Government is now preparing new legislation to help businesses in financial difficulties. For businesses struggling with the effects of Covid 19 and the lockdown the legislation includes temporary changes to the laws relating to making companies insolvent and the situations where a company’s director could have [...]
Sickness Absence and Returning to Work
If you are an employer, you will know that sickness absence can place a huge financial and practical burden upon your business. As well as dealing with the additional workload created by an employee’s absence, you still need to do all can to facilitate their return to work. Additionally, you need to keep abreast of all the current legislation, especially disability rights at work.
Our top tips are:
- Ensure you have an up-to-date, comprehensive Sickness Policy, and that it is followed
- Honestly discuss how to facilitate a return to work
- Seek our advice early to minimise complication or disputes
At Parrott & Coales, our highly experienced team of employment lawyers will keep you up to date with best practice and advise you on how to draw up sickness policies in accordance with the law, as well as offering expert legal advice on how to deal with a dispute.
However sympathetic your approach, you may find yourself in dispute with an employee during their sickness absence, or even dealing with issues and discrimination.
In an extreme case, your relationship with your employee could break down completely.
Please contact us now if you need advice on drafting a new sickness absence policy, or if you are involved in a dispute. Our advice could save you a great deal of money, time and stress.