- Price Transparency Era - Toward the end of 2018 The Solicitors Regulation Authority introduced new rules to ensure clients have the best possible information on solicitor’s fees at the outset. Law firms are now required to publish price and service information on their website for the following areas of law; residential conveyancing, probate and employment tribunal claims to name a few. The aim is to provide greater transparency to clients enabling them to make informed decisions about their legal matter.
- Grants of Representation - A Grant of Representation is the document required to confirm your authority to deal with the estate of an individual who has died. A Grant of Representation can be necessary whether or not the deceased left a Will.
At Parrott & Coales, we have many years’ experience of resolving shareholder disputes, often without the need to embark on court proceedings. We can advise you on the practical steps that you might take to solve a problem and minimise its effect on your business.
Shareholder disputes can arise for a number of reasons. Sometimes they can be caused by a personality clash (especially in a family-run business); one shareholder may feel that others are performing badly/ not paying fair dividends/ or that there has been a conflict of interest.
Whatever the issue, it is vitally important that you seek our professional advice quickly, before matters escalate, so that we can help you minimise the risks to your business and its reputation.
If you are a shareholder and/or director, our experienced team can advise you on:
- Mediating to find an amicable resolution
- Derivative claims (where third party makes a claim against a director of your company)
- ‘Unfair prejudice’ claims brought by minority shareholders who feel they have been badly treated
- Buy-backs (when the company buys an aggrieved shareholder’s shares at a fair price)
- Negotiating agreements between shareholders e.g. over company governance or dividend payments
It always pays to anticipate disputes before they arise. Please ask us about drawing up a Shareholders’ Agreement and/or Articles for your business.