- Inheritance claims – can you recover ‘no win, no fee’ legal costs? - An adult child with complex mental health issues has succeeded in an inheritance claim against her late Father’s estate for reasonable financial provision, despite being estranged from her parents. After much deliberation, the daughter was awarded £138,000 (approximately 25% of the estate), which valued at £554,000. The Judge declined to make an award to buy [...]
- Have you had a change in employment? - Make sure you know your rights. The Coronavirus pandemic has resulted in a lot of uncertainty amongst workers whose employers are severely impacted by the outbreak. In response to the national lockdown, and enforced closures of businesses, many employers made fast and drastic decisions to terminate contracts, make employees redundant or place employees on furlough [...]
Probate is the legal term used to describe the process of administering an estate.
If the Deceased had a valid Will, the administration will be carried out by their appointed executors named in the Will. If there is no valid Will, then administrators will be appointed in line with the Statutory Intestacy Rules.
The administration falls into four stages;
- Ascertain and secure all assets belonging to the Deceased;
- Obtain a Grant of Representation;
- Realise the Assets and pay all liabilities;
- Account to the Executors and distribute the Estate to the Beneficiaries.
Administration of an estate involves practical and technical issues, especially where payment of Inheritance Tax is required. Our advice will ensure that administration proceeds efficiently so that distributions to beneficiaries can be made as quickly as possible.
We will explain the procedure and any legal jargon to you, give you clear estimates of how long each stage is likely to take and try to make the process as stress free for you as possible.
There may be times when you might want to challenge the content of a will, or executors’ decisions. Click here to go to our Contentious Probate page.
For more information about our costs and time scales please click here.