- Parrott and Coales LLP acquired by Metamorph Law - Metamorph Law has acquired Aylesbury’s leading law firm, Parrott & Coales, who provide excellent service and legal support to individuals and businesses.
- Grandparents Rights – An Automatic Right? - There are now more grandparents than ever assisting families with childcare arrangements resulting in many grandparents playing a more significant role in the upbringing of their grandchildren.
Legal Aid Changes
As from the 1st April 2013 the Government no longer provides Legal Aid for many areas of law previously covered under the Legal Aid Scheme, and these changes have had a major impact on Legal Aid cover available for family matters.
Legal aid will no longer be available for:-
- Dissolution of Civil Partnerships.
- Children matters (eg. Contact, Residence, Parental Responsibility).
- Financial matters following the breakdown of a relationship.
Legal aid will only be available for:-
- Domestic Violence (subject to strict criteria).
- Mediation – This will include help and advice for financial matters following the breakdown of a relationship and/or children matters (such as contact and residence issues). However, to obtain Mediation assistance under this Scheme the parties must have already started the Mediation process. Legal Aid will not be available for advice prior to Mediation. Parrott & Coales LLP are able to provide details of local Mediators on request.
- Child Abduction matters.
- Forced Marriage Protection Order cases.
- Care Proceedings – for families whose children may be taken, or have already been taken into care by the Local Authority.
To find out whether you are eligible for Legal Aid please click here and use the LAA Eligibility Calculator.
It may be possible to obtain Legal Aid for Divorce, Civil Partnership, Children and Financial matters where there is evidence of Domestic Violence or Child Abuse, however, this is subject to strict criteria.